New Oculus User? Download These 9 Free Oculus Rift Games Now
Image courtesy of: VU Dream | Guest Contributor
My Oculus Rift has been with me for some time. I remember one of the main questions I was wondering while I was opening up the package, was what am I going to play?
Since you probably just spent $400 and maybe some more on a computer you probably want to save your dollars. This article is for all the brand new Oculus Rift users that can’t wait to jump in virtual reality!
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this mashup list of the best free Oculus Rift games that I recommend you check out today! If you feel like an awesome game is missing please comment the name below.
9. Nevrosa: Prelude
Surprisingly a pleasant experience. Not like other horror VR games that are just filled with jump scares. The developers didn’t resort to cheap tricks. This is a puzzle escape room game unlike no other.
Why is Nevrosa special?
- No teleportation or any other locomotion system.
- No jumpscares.
- You just take things with your hands and only one button is used — press a trigger on your controller to interact.
- Art deco-inspired environment filled with creepy puzzle machines is waiting to share its secrets.
- Survival horror elements: strange creatures hide in this room… What will happen when you meet?
- An evil artifact in your hands: why does it follow you? Does it whisper something or is it just in your head?
- Dark soundtrack with position sound system.
- Different endings: you decide how this nightmare ends.
Download Nevrosa on Steam.
8. Dead and Buried
*Free with Oculus Touch Activation.
Step into a world full of gunslingers and ghosts in Dead and Buried. Grab your Touch controllers and become the best gunslinger in the wild west in this multiplayer action shooter. Battle it out in the old saloon. Rob a runaway train. Team up with other bandits and defend against hordes of ghastly creatures. Finally, you can live out your wild west fantasies thanks to virtual reality.
- Competitive: online shootouts in an old saloon, train depot, and more
- Cooperative: battle waves of creatures with your friends in 4-player coop
- Practice: go for the high-score in single-player target ranges
- Immersive: duck and lean to take cover in the virtual world
- Weaponry: six-shooters, dynamite, rifles and more
- VR-focused: built from the ground up for Rift and Touch
Download Dead and Buried on the Oculus Store.
7. Quanero VR
Quanero is an experimental experience for VR headsets. Your goal is to figure out what caused a violent incident in a futuristic bar by manipulating the time. You can slow down time, reverse it or bring it to a halt. Explore the scene, unlock the story’s branch points and unravel the mystery. There’s also an explosion.
This project was created by students from the University of Applied Sciences Salzburg’s MultiMediaArt and MultiMediaTechnology degree program. The University of Applied Sciences Salzburg greatly provided a motion capture system and designated rooms to allow us to work on professional level. The production took about 20 weeks of hard and intense work.
Download Quanero VR on Steam.
6. Bullet Train
Developer: Epic Games
Bullet Train is the latest VR experience from Epic Games, creators of the popular Showdown VR demo.
Staying true to form, Epic puts you in the middle of the action: Use motion controls in the role of an agent undergoing an infiltration simulation set inside a modern train station. Master the art of teleportation, time manipulation, and close-quarters combat to blast through resistance forces.
Thanks to Unreal Engine technology and the Oculus Touch motion controllers, you can physically interact with an array of weapons, from guns to grenades to missiles, and even feel them through haptic feedback. Get Unreal Engine 4 for free at unrealengine.com.
Download Bullet Train on the Oculus Store.
5. Waltz of the Wizard
Developer: Aldin Dynamics
Want to feel what it’s like to have magical powers?
Combine arcane ingredients into a boiling cauldron with the help of an ancient spirit trapped in a human skull. Unleash creative or destructive wizardry upon a fully interactive virtual world. Travel to new places, finding yourself in mysterious circumstances full of detail and unforgettable atmosphere.
Telepath is a new approach to VR locomotion that combines elements of teleporting and linear movement. Our design goals were not to make conventional locomotion work in VR, but to devise an intuitive system that better emulates the experience of how we accomplish locomotion in reality and better preserves our freedom to move physically.
Download Waltz of the Wizard on the Oculus Store.
4. Echo Arena
Developer: Ready At Dawn
In Echo Arena, the new VR sport of the future from Ready at Dawn and Oculus Studios, you’ll join a team of up to two other players and face off against the competition in a zero-gravity clash of robotic glory as you glide, boost, and punch your way to scoring goals in a breathtaking virtual arena.
Download Echo Arena on the Oculus Store.
3. Robo Recall
Developer: Epic Games
*Free with Oculus Touch Activation.
You used to push lead with a pencil, but now you’re pushing it with a gun. A recent barrage of defective, homicidal robots has created openings in RoboReady’s perpetually underfunded and suddenly swamped Recall Department.
Thrown into the fray as a Recaller, you must rely on your wits, reflexes and a vast arsenal of weaponry to eliminate the robot uprising.
Robo Recall is an action-packed VR first-person shooter with visceral Touch gameplay and an in-depth scoring system. Earn the high score by using creative combat tactics and skill shots as you teleport through city streets and rooftops in an awe-inspiring ballet of bullets.
Tear apart your interactive robot foes and use them to fend off the enemy onslaught. Unlock, customize and test weapons before taking on advanced challenges that put your newfound skills to the test!
Download Robo Recall on the Oculus Store.
2. Rec Room
Developer: Against Gravity
Rec Room, the virtual reality social club where you play active games with friends from all around the world. Customize your appearance, then party up to play multiplayer games like Paintball, 3D Charades, Disc Golf, and even four-player co-op adventures!
- Online multiplayer so you can have fun with people from all over the world.
- Be yourself – customize your appearance in the changing room.
- FREE membership unlocks The Lounge, an invite-only space for you and your friends.
- Hang out and play in the Locker Room, or choose one of our fun activities:
- Co-op quests – challenging adventures designed to be played with your friends
- 3D Charades
- Disc Golf
- Or just choose “Quick Play” to jump into a random game
- Robust mute, ignore and moderation tools help you manage your experience
- A fantastic and growing community of players who will help you learn and have fun!
Download Rec Room on the Oculus Store.
1. The Lab
Set in a pocket universe of Aperture Science, The Lab offers a wide range of ways to enjoy VR, all in one application. This collection of fun mini-games and short experiences was originally used as a way of highlight HTC Vive’s room-scale capabilities, but now also offers support for the Oculus Rift and its Touch motion controllers.
- Slingshot – Begin your career as a Calibration Trainee by recklessly destroying everything in the Aperture Storage Annex using the Core Calibration slingshot.
- Longbow – Use your archery skills to defend your noble castle gate from a rampaging but adorable and equally noble horde of attackers.
- Xortex – Are you a bad enough dude to become a Xortex ace? Relive the golden era of gaming — only this time, it’s all around you.
- Postcards – Visit exotic, far-off locales from the comfort of your own head.
- Human Medical Scan – Explore the intricate beauty of the human body through a highly detailed model created from a series of CT medical scans.
- Solar System – Why watch shows about the vast majesty of space when you can jump in and see it for yourself? Have educational space-fun while putting Neil Degrasse-Tyson out of business.
- Robot Repair – Can you repair a robot? Good, because Aperture Science’s Human Diversity Outreach Program is now hiring.
- Secret Shop – The fantasy equivalent of a twenty-four-hour convenience store is now open for business! Peruse artifacts, shop for familiars and cast a spell or two at Dota’s Secret Shop!
Download The Lab on Steam.
This article is a guest post contributed by Mark Metry, the founder of VU Dream, a virtual reality accelerator to help with the distribution, education, and collaboration of VR content. Mark is also the Host of Humans 2.0 Podcast. You can follow him on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.