Oculus Mobile SDK 0.6.1.0 is Now Available to Developers
Image courtesy of: Samsung
Oculus released the latest update of its mobile software development kit, Oculus Mobile SDK version 0.6.1.0 for the Samsung Gear VR, available now for download directly from the Oculus VR website.
The new Mobile SDK 0.6.1.0 comes with several new features, improvements, and fixes–including major structural changes to the native VrAppFramework library that will help increase the overall performance of the application framework. A separate download for Unity integration is also now made available since it is no longer bundled with the Mobile SDK.
According to the changelog, some of the latest new features, and changes in Oculus Mobile SDK 0.6.1.0 update include:
- Images composited by the time warp are now allocated through the VrApi as “texture swap chains”.
- Performance params (CPU/GPU level, thread ids) can now be adjusted every frame through vrapi_SubmitFrame.
- adb logcat -s VrApi now reports the thread affinity.
- ovr_GetSystemProperty now provides options for querying GpuType, Device external memory, and max fullspeed framebuffer samples, see ovrSystemProperty in VrApi_Types.h
- Added example to VrCubeWorld_SurfaceView and VrCubeWorld_NativeActivity samples to reduce the latency by re-sampling the tracking state later in the frame.
- make_new_project script is now converted to Python for cross-compatibility.
- VrCapture / OVRMonitor
- VrCapture may now be integrated into and collect data from multiple shared libraries in your app simultaneously (previously you could capture from VrApi or from your app, but not both at the same time).
- OpenGL and logcat calls are now captured throughout the entire process.
- Applications may now expose user-adjustable variables via OVR::Capture::GetVariable() and tweak the values in real-time in OVRMonitor.
- Frame Buffer capturing now does basic block-based compression on the GPU, reducing network bandwidth by 50%.
- GPU Zones are enabled, but we recommend only using them on the Samsung GALAXY S6.
- Added Settings View for toggling VR Developer Mode.
- Sensor Graphs now turn red when values exceed max defined by SetSensorRange().
- Native Application Framework
- VRMenu, OvrGuiSys, OvrGazeCursor and related classes have been moved to the VrAppSupport/VrGui library.
- OvrSceneView, ModelFile and related classes have been moved to the VrAppSupport/VrModel library.
- Localization-related functionality has been moved to the VrAppSupport/VrLocale library.
- The sound pool and related classes have been moved to the VrAppSupport/VrSound library.
- The VrGui library now uses the SoundEffectPlayer interface for sound playback, replacing SoundManager. This simple interface can be overloaded to allow VrGui sounds to be played by any sound library.
- VrActivity java class now subclasses Android Activity instead of ActivityGroup.
For more detailed information on changes, bug fixes, and features integrated into the Mobile SDK 0.6.1.0 check out the changelog available on the Oculus VR website.