Oculus Rift 1.11 Update Improves Roomscale and Multi-Sensor Support
Image courtesy of: Oculus
Oculus has released its latest 1.11 update for the Rift headset and Touch motion controllers, which promises to improve the ‘experimental’ roomscale and 360º support with multi-sensor setups and brings fixes for the guardian boundary system.
Oculus released their Touch motion controllers in December 2016, which offered Rift owners a new and immersive way to experience the virtual world with their hands. And while Oculus’ tracking system is known to be fairly precise in the recommended 2 sensor configuration, it had many reported issues from users that wanted to fully experience roomscale VR with a 3+ sensor setup.
Oculus is ensuring Rift and Touch owners that it is committed to improving the tracking quality and resolving any issues related to multi-sensor configurations. According to a recent tweet by Oculus’ VP of Product Nate Mitchell, the team at Oculus has a “big focus” on making sure 3+ sensor setups are working properly at the optimal level.
According to the release notes, the Rift 1.11 update includes the following:
- You can now choose to skip updating the firmware on your controllers when repeating Oculus setup.
- Improved visibility of Guardian System boundaries with better hand animations.
- Improved instructions for Oculus sensor positioning during setup.
Improved experimental roomscale and experimental 360º support.
- Fixed calibration issues for multi-sensor configurations and Guardian System setup.
- Fixed tracking issues with Touch controllers that resulted in tracking judder or loss of hand location or hand orientation in VR.
- Fixed sensor issue which prevented Touch controllers from being detected.
- Fixed stability issues with floor height in VR.
Improved Guardian System.
- Fixed stability issue with Guardian System boundaries moving when the Rift headset wasn’t in use.
- Fixed tracking issue where Touch controllers weren’t detected by Guardian System.
- Fixed reliability issue with Guardian System boundaries triggering too soon.
Improved Oculus Rift and Touch setup.
- Fixed visibility issues with VR screen for adjusting Rift headset lens position.
- Fixed search issue with Oculus Store and Oculus Library in the Oculus software.